SYDNEY, Australia – Fast bowler Vernon Philander will miss South Africa’s next match, against West Indies on Friday due to injury.01 Mar 2015
SYDNEY, Australia – Fast bowler Vernon Philander will miss South Africa’s next match, against West Indies on Friday due to injury.
The South African pacer is also in doubt for their game against Ireland next Tuesday after being diagnosed with a Grade 1 hamstring strain.
Philander sustained the injury on Sunday, during the clash against India at the MCG, when he bowled just four overs and was off the field for most of the Indian innings.
He returned to bat later in the game but an MRI scan on Monday revealed the extent of the damage.
“We have to give him every opportunity to make sure that he can be available. At the same time we don’t want to be foolish by taking short-cuts,” said Mohammed Moosajee, the team’s manager.
“If he passes all the fitness tests and is symptom free going into the Ireland game he may play but at this stage it is too early to tell”.
This is the second time in six months that Philander has been sidelined with the same problem.
He was also ruled out of the triangular series between South Africa, Zimbabwe and Australia with a hamstring niggle but recovered in time for the West Indies series at home.
- See more at: http://www.myvuenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21354&catid=38&Itemid=53#sthash.TWri1V2z.dpuf
THE 2015 Caribbean Premier League Twenty20 tournament is expected to be the most entertaining yet, according to CPL cricket operations director Michael Hall.16 Feb 2015
THE 2015 Caribbean Premier League Twenty20 tournament is expected to be the most entertaining yet, according to CPL cricket operations director Michael Hall.
Hall, who spoke to the Jamaica Observer at the close of the player draft last week, said general improvement of the batting surfaces remains a key objective for this year's tournament, set to run from June 21 to July 26.
"We are going to be working very closely again with [curator] Ken Crafton, who was our pitch consultant last year. His job is to go around to all the islands, do an assessment and leave a programme of rehabilitation or a programme of maintenance, depending on what is required," Hall said.
"He did a great job [last year] and the statistics proved that because there were far more runs scored last year. There were four centuries in the  CPL and none the year before so the pitches were better last year."
The cricket operations director said the quality of the players contracted and an increase in the number of night games are other areas that organisers have placed plenty of focus on.
He noted that Sabina Park in Kingston, now furnished with first-rate floodlights to facilitate night games, will be one of the major attractions.
"The number of games has increased. Last year we had 30 games including the final and this year we have 33 games. When the schedule comes out we'll have an increased number of night games. In Jamaica we'll be looking forward to it because the lights are now installed at Sabina Park.
"The introduction of players such as [Shahid] Afridi and [Jacques] Kallis; major names in world cricket. Perhaps they are on the other side of their international careers, but still excellent players and big drawing cards and we look forward to them being here."
Afridi, the Pakistan all-rounder famous for his power-hitting, is contracted to represent new franchise St Kitts. Kallis, the former great South Africa all-rounder and one of the best Test batsmen of his era, will suit up for Trinidad & Tobago Red Steel.
Jamaica Tallawahs, who won the first staging of the CPL in 2013, retained the explosive West Indies pair of Christopher Gayle and Andre Russell, while adding Sri Lanka batting maestro Mahela Jayawardene.
Barbados Tridents are defending champions of the CPL T20.
- See more at: http://www.myvuenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21232&catid=38&Itemid=53#sthash.qmzf9YCh.dpuf
Negotiations for a long-awaited superfight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, which had been making progress in late January, have once again hit a snag.
The two fighters met twice on Jan. 27 and worked out many of the sticking points that have kept the fight from taking place for the last several years.
According to ESPN's Dan Rafael, the Mayweather and Pacquiao camps agreed on the purse-money for the fight, pre-fight drug testing protocol, the time and place of the event, and even the order in which the fighters would enter the ring.
A week later, the fight still wasn't finalized, and the agreed-upon date of May 2 now appears to be in jeopardy.
"We are running out of time for May 2," Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, told Rafael.
Part of the problem is negotiating an agreement for a joint pay-per-view telecast between HBO and Showtime. Pacquiao has an exclusive contract with HBO, and Mayweather is under contract to Showtime.
The fighters also have several unnamed sticking points preventing the deal from being finalized.
If the fight can't be made, Mayweather plans to fight on May 2 against either Miguel Cotto or Amir Khan. Pacquiao also has Khan as a backup plan, with a possible May 30 date.
- See more at: http://www.myvuenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21097&catid=38&Itemid=53#sthash.0ohsWRY0.dpuf
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, – West Indies will enter the World Cup this month still stuck at number eight in the International Cricket Council one-day rankings.
In the latest rankings released yesterday, the Caribbean were still wallowing in the bottom end of the standings on 94 ratings points but just two behind Pakistan.
Their position comes on the backs of a heavy 4-1 hammering at the hands of South Africa in the recent one-day series in South Africa.
Their last one-day series prior to the South African tour was the ill-fated campaign in India which was abandoned after four matches, after players quit because of an unresolved contracts dispute with their union, WIPA.
They were trailing 2-1 in that five matches series.
West Indies will hope for a turnaround in their fortunes when they open their World Cup campaign against Ireland on February 16th in Group B, which comprises the likes of defending champions India, South Africa, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and United Arab Emirates.
They are currently in Sydney preparing for the showpiece that runs from February 14thto March 28th.
Meanwhile, Australia will start the tournament in top spot, six ratings points clear of India, with South Africa lying third.
- See more at: http://www.myvuenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21079:windies-to-start-world-cup-in-eighth-spot&catid=38:sports&Itemid=53#sthash.9OqMefIq.dpuf
PORTMORE United and the United States Major League Soccer (MSL) have reached an amicable agreement over the disputed training compensation fee for Sergio Campbell, who was recently drafted by the Columbus Crew.
Only last week, local clubs were up in arms over the refusal of the MLS to pay the FIFA-stipulated training compensation fees, but Portmore United’s manager Clive Marshall told the Jamaica Observer last evening that the issue has been sorted out.
“I can only confirm that we have reached a fair resolution,” said Marshall, without going into details. “Local clubs never want to get in the way of any player’s progress, and particularly for Portmore, which has a proud record of getting players’ opportunities abroad,” he added.
“However, players should not be turned against their local clubs who played a role in their development. Thankfully, FIFA has implemented this mechanism to protect that. We strongly maintain that the issue of training compensation needs to be addressed more comprehensively, and hopefully local clubs can get some direction from the governing bodies,” Marshall said.
Recently, the MLS drafted three Jamaican players in Campbell (Columbus Crew), Romario Williams (Montreal Impact) and Oneil Fisher (Seattle Sounders), but Campbell was unable to put pen to paper because the MLS had proposed that Portmore United waive their training compensation fee, something that didn’t go well with the local club. Portmore United had claimed that they were entitled to US$7,500 in compensation, but it is not known for what amount the parties settled.
But the way is now clear for the defender to kick-start his professional career at the Columbus crew Campbell, 23, who represented Portmore United in his formative years, was drafted from the University of Connecticut.
Campbell is a former National Under-20 captain and was a member of Jamaica’s winning Caribbean Cup team in 2010. He is also the nephew of current Jamaican skipper Rodolph Austin. Meanwhile, agent Romel Wallen, of Pro-Goals Sports Capital, was also pleased with the settlement.
“In protecting the integrity of the process, I can only confirm that an amicable resolution has been reached between both parties. Hopefully a standardised template can be established, in order to avoid such scenarios in the future,” said Wallen.
- See more at: http://www.myvuenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21080:all-clear-portmore-mls-settle-on-sergio-campbells-columbus-crew-contract&catid=38:sports&Itemid=53#sthash.yLD4pEHz.dpuf
Saint Lucia’s Jessica Jean continues to make waves in the sport of weightlifting in Canada, the 18-year-old from Bexon placing second in her category in the recent national championships.
Jessica moved to Canada less than seven years, and she is now one of the top young lifters in that country. Over the past couple of weeks, Jessica competed in the 2015 Canadian Junior Weightlifting Championships in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Contesting the women’s 58kg class, she snatched 79kg and had a 95kg lift in clean and jerk. Her total lift was 174kg earned her 25 points and the silver medal.
Jessica trains with the Kanama HP/Toronto Weightlifting Club and holds a number of Ontario records in various weight divisions. She turned out for Canada at the 2014 Junior World Championships in Kanan, Russia, and is aiming for a berth at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The best overall lifter at the 2014 Ontario juniors, Jessica has also been awarded a scholarship of sorts, through the Ontario Athlete Assistance Program, OAAP.
Funded by the Government of Ontario, through the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport (MTCS), Quest for Gold – OAAP is directly related to the High Performance Sport goal of the Canadian Sport Policy – that Canadians are systematically achieving world-class results at the highest levels of international competition – by improving the performance and number of Ontario athletes performing at the national and international level, thereby contributing to the improved performance of Canada at international competitions.
As a junior, Jessica has been awarded a half card under the auspices of the Ontario Weightlifting Association.
- See more at: http://www.myvuenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21081:jean-takes-canada-silver&catid=38:sports&Itemid=53#sthash.UcoLOWkl.dpuf
AB de Villiers struck the fastest ever one-day hundred and led three other batsmen in triple figures as South Africa inflicted a severe 148-run drubbing on West Indies in the second One-Day International, yesterday.
Opting to bat first, the Proteas ruthlessly pounded the Windies bowling to amass 439 for two off their 50 overs, with opener Hashim Amla (153 not out), captain AB de Villiers (149) and Rilee Roussouw (128) all compiling centuries.
The total was a record for South Africa, narrowly surpassing their 438 against Australia in 2006, and was just four short of the world record of 443 set by Sri Lanka against Holland also nine years ago.
De Villiers grabbed the opportunity to also rewrite the record books, racing to a phenomenal hundred off a mere 31 deliveries to eclipse the old mark set by New Zealander Corey Anderson who reached his landmark off 36 balls, also against West Indies last year.
Requiring to score at nearly nine and over, West Indies were never really in contention when they chased, especially after big-hitting talisman Chris Gayle fell cheaply for 19 with the score on 36 for one in the fifth over of the innings.
His partner Dwayne Smith top scored with 64, wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin hit 57 while Marlon Samuels and Jonathan Carter both struck 40. Darren Sammy chipped in with an unbeaten 25 down the order and captain Jason Holder, 21 not out, with the match long gone.
Seamers Morne Morkel, with two for 43, and Vernon Philander, two for 69, finished with two wickets apiece. Amla and Rossouw took command of the game for South Africa with a record opening stand of 247, as West Indies leaked runs at five an over through the first 20 overs.
The right-handed Amla faced 142 balls and hit 14 fours in compiling his 18th ODI hundred while Rossouw counted 11 fours and two sixes in a 115-ball knock, that brought him his maiden one-day century. Even then, their stand never hinted at a total beyond 400 as South Africa eased to 142 without loss at the half-way point of the innings.
The left-handed Rossouw, 25, was the first to his hundred with a single to deep mid-wicket off the last ball of the 34th over bowled by seamer Andre Russell, also raising the 200-run mark. Amla followed him three balls later in the next over from Dwayne Smith, carving the slow medium bowler to backward point for four.
Rossouw was really raising the tempo of the innings when he punched a Jerome Taylor half volley to Sulieman Benn at mid-off in the 39th. Any hopes of a further breakthrough were quickly erased as de Villiers set about the Windies attack with relish, posting 192 for the second wicket with Amla.
De Villiers smashed Russell for two four and two sixes in the 40th over which cost 22 runs and ripped into Holder in seamer’s eighth, the 42nd of the innings, which cost 24 runs and included three successive sixes and a four.
The over lifted de Villiers to his half-century off 16 balls and pushed South Africa beyond the 300-run mark. Remarkably, he needed only a mere 15 balls more to complete his hundred, the landmark coming in Holder’s ninth over which cost 23 runs, as the Proteas plundered an incredible 163 runs from the last ten overs.
Smith and Gayle then started brightly, gathering 36 for the first wicket at close to the required run rate.
Gayle seemed to be warming up when he lifted Philander for four to long on and then cleared the ropes in the same area off successive deliveries in the fourth over.
However, he holed out in the deep off Morkel in the next over and the Windies were further set back when left-hander Leon Johnson struggled 15 balls over one in adding 27 with Smith, before falling lbw to Philander in the tenth over.
West Indies then flourished through two half-century stands. Firstly, Smith put on 59 for the third wicket with Samuels who faced 48 balls and struck three fours and a six.
Smith, who consumed 65 balls and hammered nine fours and a six, played freely before finding JP Duminy running around from long off, as he tried to clear the boundary with seamer Farhaan Behardien in the 22nd over.
Three overs later, Samuels drove Philander for Behardien at cover to take a leaping catch, paving the way for an enterprising 83-run stand between Ramdin and Carter. Ramdin fashioned only his sixth one-day half-century off 55 balls, while Carter, in only his second ODI, played bravely in a 39-ball knock.
They were separated when Carter tried to pull one from fast bowler Dale Steyn and was caught at mid-on by substitute Wayne Parnell in the 37th over to leave the Windies on 231 for five. And any hopes of a miracle disappeared two balls later in the next over when Russell found the lap of deep midwicket with leg-spinner Imran Tahir’s long hop, to depart without scoring of the first ball he faced.
- See more at: http://www.myvuenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20895&catid=38&Itemid=53#sthash.qXMLiR2M.dpuf